OnBoarding Officers is a unique prestigious community that has been designed to develop and hone the skills of exiting senior military officers, to help them become world-class Non-Executive Directors.
This initiative has been specifically developed to assist in positively exploiting the substantial pool of talent that exists within our elite Armed Forces personnel and increase the opportunities for those available to secure a position in a boardroom.
OnBoarding Officers’ objective is to provide members with a commercially focused insight into the qualities required to secure non-executive board positions via a prestigious support network.
OnBoarding Officers’ vision is: “to nurture world-class NEDs from the military and assist in placing them in post“.
This exclusive community has been specifically tailored for senior military officers to transfer their strategic and leadership skills to fit a commercially focused environment, ultimately taking members from the conscious incompetent to the unconscious competent resulting in a group of proficient world-class non-executive directors. It is evident organisations benefit not only from the specialist skillset ex-military personnel offer, but also their ability to lead in problem-solving, planning, teamwork, and stakeholder management which are essential tools not only in the workplace but also an enormous benefit in the boardroom.
The first part of the OnBoarding Officers journey is completing the five-day accelerated insight programme. The programme is delivered by award-winning and highly experienced tutors. The programme has been constructed to provide innate knowledge on issues that boards face on a regular basis, including exceptional boardroom practice, applicable financial acumen skills and an intuitive understanding of marketing strategy.
Following the programme, ongoing support and resources are available in the OnBoarding Officers Community which includes; –
● Boardroom Links – Within Boardroom Links members have access to two unique offerings. One aspect is access to non-executive vacancies that are provided by our esteemed partners, who have experience working with, and appreciate the skillset and offering from senior military officers. In addition, members also have access to boardroom observations for organisations across multiple industries.
● Super NEDs – The Super NEDs support the Community offering informal mentoring, corporate contacts, guidance or simply, a friendly voice.
● Ambassadors – Our ambassadors are all exclusively ex-officers from across the services, who have at some point been in the same position as yourself, on the brink of a new career path, at the start of a new route and not wholly sure what the future may look like. They are here to help and support wherever required.
● Private LinkedIn Group – Invite to our private group which is exclusively for members of the Community allowing group chats and tailored posts regarding opportunities, issues and best practice.
● Insight Videos – Various video workshops from industry professionals are readily available covering relevant subject matters to further a non-executive career.
● Networking and Alumni Events – The Alumni will be invited to attend exclusive events held throughout the year, including an annual dinner.
OnBoarding Officers is a unique approach to securing the Keys to the Boardroom and turning the page on that all-new, exciting chapter.
As the only Tri-service charity dedicated to working with the officer corps, they support serving, reservist and former officers to enable a sustained and fulfilling transition from military to civilian employment. Officers are given access to tailored, practical support to help them succeed during what can be a challenging period of transition.
The OA proudly champions the skills and qualities of the officer job seeker to employers, working with them to develop ex-military recruitment programmes whilst providing evidence-based research in support of their work.
Last year the OA worked with over 5,000 officers from across the Armed Forces as they moved into civilian employment and over 300 employers to create employer opportunities for veterans.
‘Our aim is to provide a better understanding of career options so job seekers can take their next steps with confidence.” Lee Holloway CEO of the OA.
All the Latest News
How to Network to get a Non-Executive Director Role
Understandably, networking as we know it has changed over the last year and is something that seems near impossible to do under the current circumstances. However, looking to the future, Jo Haigh shares some tips and tricks on how to network effectively to help secure a Non-Executive Director role. It’s a fact, that it’s not…
Lest We Forget
The Poppy Appeal have been providing lifelong support to Military and Ex-Military personnel and their families since 1921. Now the largest Armed Forces charity, the Poppy Appeal provide expert advice and guidance, to recovery and rehabilitation, through to transitioning to civilian life. Sadly, for the first time in Poppy Appeal history, there will be no…
How to Join a Board and Develop it to Perform at a World-Class Level
In this blog, CEO and Founder of OnBoarding Officers, Jo Haigh, shares how to join a board and develop it to perform at a world-class level. Truly one of the greatest things a NED can bring to a board is to assist in its development with an open mind and a willingness to grow it…